"Should we eat meat sparingly?"
Warning: Embrace The Truth of the Word of Wisdom, and find out why Daniel in the bible did not eat meat...
I am so grateful that you are seeking the truth. I have no agenda, but desire to know Truth. If you have an agenda either to not eat meat or to eat meat, leave your agenda aside and be open to the possibilities. Consider for a moment that you can get to the Truth, if you really want to find it. All I ask is that you be OPEN.
First and most importantly, before considering any doctrine, "love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind." "Love thy neighbour as thyself." (Matthew 22:36-39) Have charity, the pure love of Christ. Do not hold one principle more important above another, but all of the doctrines and principles of the gospel are important. If you want to live the word of wisdom, take care of your body. Do all things listed in the word of wisdom to keep your body healthy and well.
My patriarchal blessing talks about the Word of Wisdom. I have never smoked, never drank alcohol, tea, nor coffee, and never done drugs. I played high school sports and have been active all of my life. I have tried to be healthy and eat my vegetables. When I was 28 years-old, I was told I had cancer. I am on a quest to be healthy and whole. So, I asked what more am I to do in regards to the word of wisdom?
What I am about to share with you is what I have learned after much study and prayer. I started studying the word of wisdom in depth because I want to Embrace the Truth and obey all of His commands.
I wondered why no one eats meat sparingly. I honestly did not want to know because I was afraid of how hard it might be if I was supposed to eat meat sparingly. I decided to embrace God's truth regardless of how hard it may seem. So, I asked am I supposed to eat meat sparingly? If so, what does sparingly mean?
Some Day in the Near Future...
Apostle, Lorenzo Snow said, "the time was near at hand when the Latter-day Saints should be taught to refrain from meat eating and the shedding of animal blood." (Journal History, 11 March 1897 p. 2) Maybe the time Lorenzo Snow foresaw is upon us now.
Daniel in the Bible...
First, Ancient scripture teaches that Daniel showed the king that by not eating meat, they were healthier and their countenances shined.
To the four that ate vegetables and seeds, "God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom.
Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams." (Read in the Bible, Daniel Chapter 1)
What Has Current Research Found About Eating Meat Sparingly...
- The Most Comprehensive Study ever conducted on food and nutrition, The China Study, that took Dr. Campbell well over 20 years of research, found that eating Meat (specifically cholesterol) CAUSED widespread heart disease, and all kinds of other diseases...
- Cholesterol is found ONLY in animal based products (meat, dairy, ice cream, cheese, butter, etc.).
- "In 1950, a study was done on young men, average age of 22, that died in the Korean War. Of the 300 men they examined, 77.3% of the hearts had "gross evidence" of heart disease... Heart disease develops over a lifetime and is pervasive in young Americans."
- 1.1 million heart attacks occur in America every year.
- A secluded group of people found in PNG had no heart disease - they ate a plant-based diet.
50 heart attack survivors were studied. Half of the group continued their normal diet. The other half of the group
ate two ounces of lean lamb for lunch and two ounces of lean meat for dinner - they couldn't eat animal fats, fat meats,
whole milk, cream, butter, whole eggs, nor foods made from them.
After 12 years, the group that did not change their diet were all Dead. 38% (19 people) of those who changed their diet where still alive after 12 years.
- The research shows that Cholesterol and Saturated Fats from Animal Foods Are Slowly Killing Us by heart disease and more.
- And we wonder why the prophecies say, "Men's hearts shall fail them." - The top killer in the U.S. is Heart Disease...
- Ready for more research, read In-Depth Scientific Research Part 1
What do SCRIPTURES say about eating meat sparingly?
- This is one of the most important scriptures regarding eating meat:
- In the JST of Genesis 9:11, "And surely, blood shall not be shed, only for meat, to save your lives; and the blood of every beast will I require at your hands."
- Ancient scripture teaches that Daniel did not eat meat, and was healthier and his countenance shined. To the four that ate vegetables and seeds without meat, "God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom. Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams." (Read in the Bible, Daniel Chapter 1)
- In D&C 89, "Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used Sparingly; And it is Pleasing unto me that they Should Not Be Used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine."
- In D&C 49:21, "And wo be unto man that sheddeth blood or that wasteth flesh and hath no need."
- "Thou Shalt Not Kill" - this is one of the ten commandments - does it say only humans? What about animals? We should avoid killing animals if we can as it is pleasing unto God.
Why doesn't anyone else Eat Meat Sparingly?
The Traditions of Our Fathers. There is now an awakening among members that are eating meat sparingly.
If we cannot obey the basic commandments, why would we even think to live another law?
D&C 89:3 says that this principle was "adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints". If eating meat sparingly was adapted for the weak, what is the higher law? Either way, eat meat sparingly!
Some people do not obey it because they are not open nor desire to know the TRUTH nor are they WILLING to live a higher law.
God gave us these teachings "In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days,
I have Warned YOU, and forwarn you..."(D&C 89:4). Some don't care about the truth. I hope and pray that you DO.
Some conspire to make MORE money at the EXPENSE OF YOUR HEALTH. Look at Mad Cow's Disease.
I TRULY CARE ABOUT YOU AND YOUR HEALTH. I LOVE YOU AND HOPE THE BEST FOR YOU!
Is Heavenly Father ok with us eating meat?
We may eat meat for a few reasons reasons. Meat was ordained for the use of man. We can use it wisely when necessary and in gratitude. When we begin to honor the animals and Mother Earth, we will be abundantly blessed.
The scriptures teach that the "flesh of beasts and of the fowls of the air are to be used Sparingly and should not be used". They may be used with gratitude "only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine."
The Key is to figure out what SPARINGLY means for you.
According to the scriptures, there I can find only a few reasons to eat meat:
- Extreme Cold (no heated house, no heated cars, no coats, etc.)
- Famine or Excess of Hunger (or nutrient deprived or lack of healthy foods)
- It is ordained for the use of man and God has not yet commanded us to NOT eat meat, but he has told us that "it is pleasing unto [Him] that they should not be used."
What do PROPHETS teach about eating meat sparingly?
- Apostle, Lorenzo Snow "introduced the subject of the Word of Wisdom, expressing the opinion that it was violated as much or more in the improper use of meat as in other things, and thought the time was near at hand when the Latter-day Saints should be taught to refrain from meat eating and the shedding of animal blood." (Journal History, 11 March 1897 p. 2) Maybe the time Lorenzo Snow foresaw is now upon us now.
One of the most brilliant scholars to ever serve in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles was John A. Widtsoe who had
the additional perspective of a scientist as to the merits of a plant-based diet. He wrote in a book on the Word of Wisdom,
"It was shown in the history of plant science that plants contain all the necessary food substances: proteins, fats, starches
and the carbohydrates, minerals...water [and] vitamins. The Great builder of the earth provided well for the physical needs
of His children. Countless varieties of edible plants, vegetables, cereals, fruits and nuts are yielded by Mother Nature for
man's daily food. If one uses meat it must be used sparingly and in winter or famine only.... They who wish to be well and
gain the promised reward stated in the Word of Wisdom must obey all of the law, not just part of it as suits their whim or
their appetite, or their notion of its meaning." (The Word of Wisdom, a Modern Interpretation, 1950)
Learn more about obeying the Whole Law, Listen to the Audio series "American Food Lies" at the bottom of the page.
- In May of 1898 the First Presidency and the Twelve were discussing the Word of Wisdom. One member read from the 12th volume of the Journal of Discourses where Brigham Young seems to support the idea that the Word of Wisdom is a commandment. “Lorenzo Snow, then President of the Council of Twelve agreed, saying that he believed the Word of Wisdom was a commandment and that it should be carried out to the letter. In doing so, he said, members should be taught to refrain from eating meat except in dire necessity, because Joseph Smith had taught that animals have spirits.” Wilford Woodruff agreed the Word of Wisdom is a commandment, but thinks no action should be taken except that “members should be taught to refrain from meat.” Read more about this Eating Meat
- Hyrum Smith taught us a little about the word sparingly - that we are to spare the animals' lives if at all possible - when he said, "... Let men attend to these instructions let them use the things ordained of God; let them be sparing of the life of animals; 'it is pleasing saith the Lord that flesh be used only in times of winter, or of famine'... (Hyrum Smith, brother of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Times and Seasons, Vol. III, No. 15, City of Nauvoo, Illinois. June 1, 1842.)
- At Zion's camp when the men wanted to kill the rattlesnakes, Joseph Smith said, “Men must themselves become harmless before they can expect brute creation to be so. When man shall lose his own vicious disposition and cease to destroy the inferior animals, the lion and the lamb may dwell together, and the suckling child play with the serpent in safety.” We know Brigham Young was displeased when the men of the first 1847 pioneer company killed more animals than they needed for meat.
- President Joseph Fielding Smith's wife, Jesse Evans Smith, said, "my husband doesn't eat meat" and he felt a "disdain of meat and (a) love of vegetables." (Brigham Young University Daily Universe, May 6, 1971, p. 1)
- President Benson had said, "In general, the more food we eat in its natural state and the less it is refined without additives, the healthier it will be for us." (Ensign 4:66, 1974)
- Benson said, "To a significant degree, we are an overfed and undernourished nation digging an early grave with our teeth, and lacking the energy that could be ours.... We need a generation of young people who, as Daniel, eat in a more healthy manner than to fare on the 'kings meat' ---and whose countenances show it." (Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson pp. 476-7)
- George Q. Cannon who explained that, "other articles of food could be raised more cheaply and in greater variety than the flesh of animals." It takes from 5 to 12 pounds of grain when fed to livestock to produce one pound of meat. What better way for all to have abundantly than for humans to be eating the grain directly thus creating food for 5 to 12 times as many people. Wouldn't that go a long way toward establishing a Zion society and eliminating the inequities of a worldly system in which one man "possess that which is above another?"
- "Enmity of the beasts of the field as well as that of all flesh will cease... In those days 'the lion will eat straw like the ox (Isaiah 11:7)' ,... so much so that the little child might lead them and play with them, and nothing should hurt or destroy in all the holy mountain of the Lord; all things becoming, in some measure, as when they were first created. For it will be remembered that animals did not devour one another until after the fall, neither was there any death, until after the fall. What did they eat, then? The Lord said, "To every beast of the field, and to everything that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat." The grass, and the herbs, and every green thing were their food. And Adam and Eve ate fruits and vegetables, not animal flesh." (Journal of Discourses - Elder Orson Pratt, June 23, 1878)
- In the talk given by apostle Joseph F. Merrill titled "Eat Flesh Sparingly" in 1948, he states, "Then the book speaks about a bulletin by the United States Department of Agriculture in which we are told that . . . meat may be omitted from the diet altogether, for it has been determined that all necessary protein and energy may be obtained from other materials."
What BLESSINGS come from eating Whole Foods - vegetables, fruits, grains, and herbs - and meat sparingly?
Do you have QUESTIONS or doubts about eating meat sparingly?
A Word of Caution:
- Many people still today are in a state of famine because their bodies are deprived of nutrients. If you eat mostly unhealthy foods such as potato chips, fries, and popcorn, processed foods, etc. THEN you NEED MEAT because many of our foods today are lacking so many nutrients.
- Some children may need meat (ex: they are allergic to nuts, wheat, they don't eat enough calories, etc.). If you do eat some meat, eat lean, natural, grass-fed meat. Try Quinoa - it has all of the essential amino acids.
- Take on this law of eating meat sparingly only if you are willing to eat healthy foods. For example, do you have access to chia seed, quinoa, beans, fruits, flax seed, whole grains, and a variety of vegetables? If the answer is NO, then, you probably need to eat meat because your body is in a famine state.
If you eat meat SPARINGLY, make sure you eat a wide variety of foods to be healthy. Ex: Quinoa has all of the amino acids.
I invite you to prayerfully ask God the Father what he wants you to do in regards to eating meat. Find out what SPARINGLY means for you in this time of your life.
I started eating less meat because I felt strongly that I am to refrain from eating it as Daniel of the Bible did and as Lorenzo Snow taught. I have been following a whole foods, plant-based diet for quite some time now. I feel great! I have more energy than ever before. I have seen so many rich blessings poured out upon me as I have eaten whole foods and meat sparingly (almost never). People all around me will get sick and I stay healthy. I TESTIFY that we are to EAT MEAT SPARINGLY, as it is PLEASING UNTO GOD.
JUST TRY IT FOR A MONTH. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE but Excess Weight, Your Diseases, and A TON OF BLESSINGS TO GAIN. I recommend eating a whole foods plant based diet. Learn more about that at: http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com/.
- James Max Christensen
What does Heavenly Father teach us in the word of wisdom about eating meat sparingly?
Get a free audio series and healthy eating guide and find out more about the word of wisdom through prophets, scriptures, and research - Get access and updates by entering your email at the top right
If you have an eating disorder and/or are under weight or have any other health problems
or begin to feel any negative effect from not eating meat, CONSULT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.